One of the Frequently Asked Questions for any website developer or designer is “How often should I update my website? and why?”. Our developer, Andrew Shepherd addresses this common question and provides some insight on the topic including 5 reasons you should update your site.
It is generally suggested that you update your website as much as possible in order to maintain a modern look on your site. Web developers typically recommend that you update the content on your website once or twice a month, however, this only applies to content updates not structural or design updates to your website.
Structural updates to your site are generally not recommended to be made more than a few times per year, simply because people come back to what they are familiar with from their previous experience on your site. Changing the appearance of your website is generally a bad idea unless your site is completely outdated and you are going for a completely new look on your site.
If your site is already visually pleasing and is simple to navigate you should focus your attention on content updates on your website, which can help your site’s rankings on search engines. When making changes to your site don’t make updates for the sake of simply changing something on your page, is a bad idea and likely won’t be indexed by search engines.
Search Engines look for quality content that is relevant and interesting, so be sure your site updates are beneficial to your clients, supply correct information, and apply to your industry.
5 Reasons to update your website:
- An updated website keeps site visitors interested. If the information a visitor is looking for is not given within the first few minutes of the potential client’s visit to your website it is failing its purpose.
- Search Engines like new content. If you’re updating your site content frequently search engines have more content to review, therefore give your site more indexed pages and higher rankings.
- Updating your website keeps the clientele coming in. Frequently updated sites are typically more appealing to potential clients and convey your company’s attention to detail and commitment to up to date communication.
- Updating your site makes your company look refreshed. Fresh site content and design let clients and potential clients know you are at the forefront of technology and can be trusted to be on the forefront of your industry.
- You will find and prevent broken links or pictures on your pages. It is important to keep up with missing pages or pictures, a potential client receiving a “Error 404″ message when they try to click a link for more information could instantly turn that potential client away from your company.